I attended the January 2011 League City Photography Meet up this past week. There was a great turnout of over 30 attendees.
Theme for January is Black & White
Upcoming Events in January
Topic – Night Photography
Al S. gave a great presentation on Night Photography. Below are the high points I gleaned.
The Mindful Eye is the site referenced throughout the presentation.
There are three Twilights
- Civil - 1/2 hour prior to sunrise
- Nautical – 1 hour prior to sunrise
- Astronomical – 1 1/2 hours prior to sunrise
- DSLR with Bulb Mode
- Wide Angle Lens
- Remote Release
High-Speed ISO Test
- Set camera at the highest ISO
- Aperture Prioity
- Open lens all the way
- Turn noise reduction off
- Take shot
- Check histogram - highlights need to be as far to the right as possible
ISO 3200/200 = 16 16 x 10 seconds = 160 seconds
|ISO 3200||ISO 200|
|10 sec||160 sec|
Almost same result between the two, but less noise.
Goal = perfect exposure @ the lowest ISO
- Focus to infinity
- Manual focus mode
- Limit objects in the foreground
Additional Information & Links
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything.” -Aaron Siskind